Rožmitál na Šumavě
38241 Rožmitál na Šumavě
Contact: Ševčíková Alena
Telephone: +420 380 327 134
Fax: +420 380 327 134
Location: Region of Český Krumlov
Geographical area : 4275 ha
Altitude : 623 m above sea level
Rožmitál na Šumavě / Hněvanov / Michnice
Čeřín / Jistebník / Zahrádka / Hodonice
Močerady / Sedlíkov
Origin of the Name :
1259 - Rosental
1379 - Rosentallad
1490 - Rožmital
1848 - Rožmitál, Rosenthal
Town History :
The first written mention of the town is from 1259. The village was founded in the 13th century by the Rosenbergs, and a fuedal subject from 1380 at the latest. There was still a local brewery in operation in 1900. In 1422 the Hussite army passed through the town under the leadership of Chval of Machovice, from Vyšší Brod and Rožmberk towards Přídolí. Even today the hill where the Hussites camped still carries the name Žižkův kopec, or Žižka's hill. In the middle 16th century the silver mine of St. Andrew (Ondřej) was opened, and the town seal still bears a reminder of this mining activity.
Curiosities and Characters :
Birthplace of Šumava historian and archivist František Valentin Schmidt (1861 - 1927).
Tales and legends :
Once a miller saw a snake on a field with a golden crown on his head. He spread a white handkerchief on the ground, and the snake crawled in and took off the crown. The miller hurried home with the kerchief and tightly locked all the doors and windows. Suddenly, thousands of snakes threw themselves hissing at the closed doors and windows of the man who had stolen the crown from their queen, but in vain. From that day on, everything in the mill prospered.
At the former Baroque chapel above Rožmitál there is a well which is said to have healing powers. Once two parents brought their blind daughter here, and after she washed her eyes from the well her sight returned.
-Church of the Assumption of the Virgin Mary - first mention from 1259, main altar from 1770. Originally Gothic with preserved presbytary and tower walls. Remaining parts built in 1909 by František Schiffhaler.
-Fortified Settlement of Michnice
-Statues of St. Jan Nepomucký on the square (St. Jan Nepomucký, St. Florián, St. Šebastián) from the middle of the 18th century.
-Anguish of God in front of the cemetery walls from 1521 - stone column 4.25 m tall with figural sculptures
-Statue of St. Jan Nepomucký on Michnice
-House no. 39 in Rožmitál - farmhouse with facilities
-Ruins of a Baroque chapel above Rožmitál on the hill Jelínka, Chapel Marianhilf
In the town as well as in the river valley flow the nearby Vltava River as well as the Malše. Natural mixed growth forests are also attractive for pleasant walks or more vigorous outdoor sports.
-Network of marked hiking trails - path to Rožmberk - 6 km, to the Vltava across Čeřín, path over the hill of Poluška (919 m) - 7 km.
-Swimming in nature - swimming hole in Rožmitál na Šumavě, Vltava River under Čeřín, Sedlíkovský pond
-Winter skiing on unmaintained cross-country trails
-Sports field - soccer, tennis courts
-Water sports campground Branná - below Čeřín