Encyclopedia > Town Český Krumlov > Buildings in the Historical Center of Český Krumlov > Horní Street

Horní No. 157

Horní No. 157, overview, foto: Lubor Mrázek Location:
Horní No. 157

Description of the Building:
This one-story corner building, which was built on the small slope of Horni Street, has got a high pitched roof that is covered with tiles. The main facade of the building which faces Horni Street is horizontally divided by stringcourses. The side wall runs along Masna Street, down to the street that is perpendicular to Masna, Satlavaska Alley. The interior of the building contains rooms that are either barrel vaulted or that have flat ceilings. There is a partially preserved loggia from the modern era alongside the back wing. Though the majority of the rooms on the first floor have carved, joisted ceilings, the ceiling in one of the rooms is decorated in stucco with square coffers. The cellars have Gothic, barrel vaults.

Architectural and Historical Development:
This one-story, building has Gothic origins that date to the 14th century. Parts of the cellars, the periphery walls of the wall of the main building, and barrel vaults are well-preserved from this period. The oldest documented renovations took place in the Renaissance period, and it was at this time that the ceilings that are located on the first floor of the building were built. Later renovations were made in 1662 and then again in the Rococo-Classical period, from 1791-1804. The present day appearance of the facade dates to the year 1892. A pedestrian passageway that ran through the front tract of the ground floor of the building and into the square was created in the 1960s. This work greatly depreciated the value of the structure. The passageway was destroyed when reparations were made to the rafters of the building in 1996-1997.

Development of facade:
The building was built upto the first-floor level during the medieval phase, the window holes were framed by plastic protruded mounts with a black line. There was a frieze of disks with a non-specified decorative painting above the ground floor. In the early Middle Ages phase the whole surface of the facade was smooth, no coloured articulation appeared. In the Renaissance period the facade was adapted again with the use of grey-and-white and white-and-red -coloured scheme. The marble illusion of red tectonic elements was created by the black dotting.

.. .. .. ..

.. .. ..

In the early Baroque period a head ledge was walled with a new adaptation of window holes into the current form and a white-and-grey, white-and-green, purple-and-white-coloured scheme was applied. In the Classicism period there was a restoration of the ground floor: the band rustic-work with a green-and-white-coloured coat of paint. Later the building was covered in an all-surface ochre and grey-coloured coat of paint. The window holes were extended and framed by plastic shams in 1892. Coloured adaptations: ochre-and-white, green, grey-and-blue-and-ochre, green-and-white.The building is a remarkable example of the medieval farmstead built-up space (back economic wing reaches Šatlavská Street).

..

They forgot to fix some very exceptional medieval fragments - disks at the mezzanine level during the plaster restorations. The ochre-coloured lime paint was used as an inspiration from the turn of 19th and 20th century.

Significant Architectural Features:
Renaissance ceilings on the first floor of the building

Horní no. 157 - detail of ceiling paintings Horní no. 157 - detail of ceiling paintings


Horní no.  157, overview History of the House Residents:
Though the origin of this structure dates to the 14th century, the first documented owner of this building was in the year 1528. In the year 1531, the building was sold for 520 three-scores of groschen. A man from Passau owned the building in 1570. In the 1590s the ownership of the building changed hands several times. In 1593 a baker named Ruprecht Kirchammer owned the building and after him a man named David Niel. In the year 1597 another baker named Martin Port owned the building until 1617 when Krystof Zallinger took his place as owner. From 1627-1649 a baker Adam Frick and his wife Ludmila lived here and then a man by the name of Georg Gottlieb Puffer. After the building was owned by a stocking-knitter, Simon Gallin from 1660-1662, an organist named Jan Royssner owned the building from 1662. After Royssner, the building belonged to Krumlov citizens of various professions.

Present Use:
Bookshop Expedice
Tavern in Šatlavská street