Encyclopedia > Personalities

Andreas Altomonte

(1699 - 1780) Architect

Andrea Altomonte was born the son of a painter, Martin Altomonte. With his father he co-operated on the construction of Saint Peter Church\'s in Vienna. His Vienna work includes a design of the Equestrian School and the Schwarzenberk Palace orangery. In forties and fifties of the 18th century Altomonte was in the service of Joseph Adam zu Schwarzenberg. He entrusted Altomonte with the design work of the baroque Cascade Fountain in the castle gardens, its composition inspired by the gardens of Schönbrun and Belveder.

Author's drawings by Andreas Altomonte

Altomonte built the castle\'s winter riding school (see Castle No. 178 - Castle Riding Hall), also decorated with a sculpted staffage by Jan Antonín Zinner, in the north-east corner of the garden that is. Andrea Altomonte rebuilt the Bellarie garden pavilion in 1755 - 57. The courtyard facades of the Krumlov Prelature, today´s Horní street no. 155, are also ascribed to him. In 1750 - 53 he drew up a design for the modification of the castle chapel. The elements of his peculiar style are also noticeable in the path up Cross Hill and in the Kajov chapel of Saint Teresa of Jesus.

..

(jm)