The complex of the palaces situated around the IVth courtyard came about during the building activities from the middle of the 14th century to the 18th century. Despite the complicated building development, the palaces retained the features of Renaissance style from the most flourishing period in the second half of the 16th century during the reign of Wilhelm von Rosenberg (1535-1592). The most outstanding works are those of architects Antonio Ericero Vlach, Baldassare Maggi d´Arogno and painter Gabriel de Blonde.
On the adapted and partly rough-hewn rock, below the courtyard there were multi-storied vaulted cellars built to serve as a reliable foundation for the palace walls of the palaces reaching several dozen metres in height. The interiors of the three-story castle cellars housing a ceramics exposition are open to the public.
The adaptations carried out in the course of the 17th and 18th century didn´t detract from the splendid and mighty character of the Renaissance residence, in fact, the residence's features were respected. As an example, among others, the facade paintings in both courtyards depicting the allegorical and mythological scenes and figures from the Greek and Roman history were preserved. The unknown author came most likely from France or south-west Germany, judging by the painting technique. The adaptations done on the facades in the 17th and 18th century didn't destroy the paintings. In the years 1909 - 1912 the paintings were restored and enriched by Schwarzenberg restorer Theofil Melicher. The Upper Castle has a special importance to visitors as its interiors are open to the public in two guided tours.
See also :