Bike ride to the Kleť summit in Blanský Forest
half-day or all-day bike ride ⋅ summit of Kleť Mountain → 13 km, 1.5 hours ⋅ for proficient cyclists ⋅ refreshments/restaurants on route
If you have already travelled the length and breadth of Český Krumlov, you can try a half-day or all-day trip to the summit of Kleť Mountain. At an altitude of 1,084 metres above sea level, it is the highest mountain in the Blanský Forest. After a hike, a bike ride or a chairlift ride, you will be rewarded with a beautiful view from a lookout tower – in good weather you can see all the way to the peaks of the Alps. Replenish your strength at the Horské chaty Kleť Restaurant with its famous garlic soup or another of the local specialities, and enjoy the return trip downhill on scooters.
Points of interest
- Josef’s lookout tower – this 18-metre tall stone tower has stood on the summit of Kleť since 1825, when Prince Josef Schwarzenberg had the tower built. Open to the public since the second half of the 19th century, it is the oldest stone lookout tower in Bohemia.
- Terezie’s Chalet – this mountain chalet dating from 1925 is situated next to the lookout tower, providing accommodation and refreshments opening times
- Kleť Observatory – the highest situated astronomical observatory in the Czech Republic, built between 1957 and 1958, is a world leader in the study of minor planets
- Krásetín-Kleť chairlift – the chairlift transports 220 passengers per hour. In service since 1961, it is 1,792 metres long with an elevation difference of 383 m.
- 175-metre tall television transmitter for South Bohemia dating from 1978
- Granátník lookout tower – a wooden lookout tower on the slope of Granátník Hill by cycle route No. 1166, about 4 km south-east of the summit of Kleť at an altitude of 750 metres
Bike touring route
You can travel to the summit of Kleť by bike directly from the centre of Český Krumlov. If you didn’t bring your bike with you, there are several hire facilities in the town. From the centre follow the yellow marked hiking route to Vyšný (2), then join the green route, which will take you onto cycle route No. 1166. After a moment, you will change onto route No. 1166 A, which leads to the summit of Kleť. Along the way, you can stop at Granátník lookout tower (3).