Today, Kuklov is mainly known for the photogenic torso of the Church of St. Andrew and its characteristic five tall Gothic windows. It is located in Podkletí, about 24 kilometres north-east of Český Krumlov.
In the beginning, there was a castle. Founded in the 14th century, most likely by Bishop Jetřich of Minden, Kugelvajt Castle became the property of the king after his death. At the time of the conspiracy of the Czech nobility against Wenceslas IV, the royal castle of Kuklov was conquered in 1395 by Henry III of Rosenberg and subsequently destroyed. After settling the disputes, the king subsequently gave it to him, but Henry III did not restore the Castle. On the rocky forest ridge located approximately 500 metres from the village, you will now only find the remains of a wall and a castle moat broken out of the rock.
A Paulan monastery was founded near the castle ruins in 1495. The construction of the late Gothic monastery extended into the first third of the 16th century and was never completed. Probably around 1530, the monks left the unfinished monastery, which has since gradually deteriorated. Only the exterior walls of the late Gothic single-nave Church of St. Ondřej with a pentagonal end and two buttresses on the south side are still preserved. The remains of the monastery buildings are only preserved in the masonry of the houses that were built later around the ruins of the monastery.
The premises of the church torso are freely accessible and are used for cultural and social events or wedding ceremonies.